Natural Homemade Electrolyte Drink
Today I will show you how to make your own homemade electrolyte drink or homemade sports drink. This will help you understand exactly what is going into your body system.
We all know water is the best way to hydrate, but sometimes we need an extra boost.
Science makes us understand that when we sweat, our body loses minerals, and adding these mineral electrolytes back into our body helps it hydrate more effectively
What is an Electrolyte?
Electrolytes are minerals that help regulate processes in your body. While most often thought about when it comes to hydration, they also help with your nervous system and muscle function. This is a great reason to make a healthy homemade electrolyte drink.
We have so many electrolytes, including:
Discoveries have shown that if the electrolyte levels are too low or too high your body system gets out of balance and it could lead to some serious symptoms.
Eating a healthy diet and staying hydrated, will help balance the electrolyte level in your body system. However, there are times that you will want to use this homemade electrolyte drink to introduce more electrolytes into your body.
- When you or your kiddos get sick, particularly if it’s an illness that includes vomiting or diarrhea.
- In times of high-intensity exercise or activity in the sun when you are sweating profusely (or even just breathing heavily).
- Also, for pregnant mamas and laboring mamas, extra electrolytes can help keep up energy levels and maximize hydration.
Commercial Sports Drinks/Electrolyte Drinks
We have many sports drinks or electrolyte drinks that you can get in the markets or stores nowadays and these drinks contain sugar, dyes, and other carcinogenic ingredients.
Natural Electrolyte Drinks
Studies have shown that coconut water is probably the most simple electrolyte drink when you need a natural option. (But make sure you’re not getting a sweetened version.) coconut naturally contains high levels of potassium and some sodium, calcium, and magnesium.
How to Make Homemade Electrolyte Drink
There are lots of benefits in making your own homemade electrolyte drink or homemade sports drink and it will also help you to know exactly what you’re putting into your body.
Below are how to make your own electrolyte drink;
- 1¾ cup herbal tea, water, or coconut water,
- ⅛ teaspoon pink Himalayan salt,
- 2 teaspoons raw honey (or maple syrup, to taste),
- ¼ cup lemon or lime juice,
- 1 teaspoon calcium/magnesium powder (optional).
Start making your homemade electrolyte drink by brewing the tea and letting it cool slightly; or, slightly warm your alternative base liquid.
- Add salt, sweetener, and calcium magnesium powder (if using). Mix to dissolve.
- Add juice. Mix and taste. Adjust juice or sweetness levels as desired.
This homemade electrolyte drink will last a week in the refrigerator. You can always double or triple the recipe to make a big batch if you know you’ll be needing it.
You can also make this recipe with half the liquid base, and freeze it as ice cubes to use as needed. Simply fill a glass with the electrolyte cubes and add water.