Healthy and Delicious Fruit Leathers
In this post, you are going to learn how to make healthy and delicious fruit leather.
Ingredients for making Delicious Fruit Leathers
- 2 cups rhubarb,
- 1 cup cranberries,
- 2-4 Tbsp raw honey,
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice,
- 2-4 Tbsp water as needed.
- Measure and cut 3 cups of fruit total (your choice). Fresh or defrosted frozen fruit is great.
- Add the fruit, honey, lemon juice, and water (if needed) to your pan. Cover with a lid. Cook on low until the fruit is released in juices and combined together. Let it cook down until thickened.
- Allow the fruit to cool. Add the cooked fruit to your blender or food processor and blend until very smooth.
- Spread the thick puree onto a dehydrator sheet lined with Silpat or parchment paper (14″ x 14″). It should be spread on thick. Use a spatula to get a nice even surface (important, so it dries evenly!).
- Dehydrate at 135° (140° is ok for the oven, see more oven-specific instructions below). Takes 6-11 hours depending on the method, thickness, and fruit of your fruit leather. Sometimes one section will dry faster, so turn the tray occasionally to help keep the drying even. (Buy Excalibur dehydrators here)
- Carefully peel fruit leather off the sheet and cut it into 12 strips. Roll in parchment paper strips and seal the end with a staple (an easy and simple way to keep it together, as tape does not stick to parchment paper). Enjoy your chewy fruit leather! Yum 🙂
Oven directions: Use a baking sheet and line with a Silpat or parchment paper. Spread the thick puree onto the sheet. Use a spatula to even it out.
You will know it is done when it is tacky, but not sticky. The fruit leather should not be hard. Peel back the edges and if it does not stick, it is probably done. Some fruits turn out more “leathery” or chewy than others. Just experiment to find your favorite combination.