Baked Veggie Chips Recipe
How To Baked Veggie Chips
I was so happy when I discovered that I can make my own chips at home, the feeling was awesome.
Knowing how to backed veggie chips is very beneficial and healthy, so today in this post I will show you how to bake healthy veggie chips.
My Homemade Backed Chips Recipe
Before I got to the conclusion that this is the best recipe for Baked Veggie Chips, I have tried a lot of recipes for making homemade chips, and honestly, many of them have ended up in burnt chips.
The great news about this veggie chips recipe is that you can use any vegetable you can afford
The following root vegetables are great for making homemade baked chips:
- Taro and Yucca root – these have a fun potato-like flavor and crunch
- 1 large parsnip, peeled
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled
- 2 large purple or golden beets, peeled
- sea salt
- olive oil (melted coconut oil or ghee can also be used)
- seasoning of choice, optional
- Slice the veggies 1/16th inch thick using a mandolin slicer or a sharp knife.
- Toss the slices with a sprinkling of sea salt. (I like to keep the different veggies separate at this point so the beets don’t stain everything.) Place the salted vegetable slices on a paper towel-lined platter in a single layer. Let the slices stand for 15-20 minutes, then blot them dry with additional paper towels.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Position your oven racks in the upper and lower third of your oven.
- Toss the vegetables with a drizzle of oil, until lightly coated.
- Place the vegetables in a single layer on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 25 minutes, checking after 15 minutes and after 20 minutes and removing any smaller chips that look dry and crisp.
- Remove the chips from the oven and let them cool for 5-10 minutes on the baking sheet.
- Once the chips have cooled slightly, remove any crispy chips from the baking sheet, and return the baking sheet to the oven with the remaining, not-yet-crisp chips. Bake for 5 more minutes.
- Again, cool the chips for 5-10 minutes. Remove any crisped chips. Then return the baking sheet to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Continue this process until all the chips are baked to your liking.
- Once the chips are crisp, sprinkle them with additional sea salt (if necessary) or your seasoning of choice.
- Repeat with any remaining vegetable slices.
You May Read: How To Make Healthy and Delicious Fruit Leathers
How To Preserve Your Homemade Veggie Chips
It is best to eat homemade baked chips the same day they are made.
If you are baking a large number of chips to store them, what I do is, keep them in a brown paper bag or in an uncovered bowl.
If you want to store in an air-tight container, you have to make sure your all chips are very dry, one chip that has a little residual moisture is capable of softening the whole batch of chips.
In case your chips get softs overnight, don’t worry. Just 5-10 minutes in a warm oven is typically all they need to crisp up again.